Monday, February 18, 2013

HEARKEN, O ye people of my church; for verily I say unto you that these things were spoken unto you for your profit and learning.


Zion & Jerusalem, February 18, 2013

HEARKEN, O ye people of my church; for verily I say unto you that these things were spoken unto you for your profit and learning. But notwithstanding those things which are written, it always has been given to the elders of my church from the beginning, and ever shall be, to conduct all meetings as they are directed and guided by the Holy Spirit.

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 46:1 - 2)

Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Lorenzo Snow



This book about Lorenzo Snow or his teachings, I am devouring it. It makes me think about Jacob the brother of Nephi when he says if you were holy, I will teach you about holy things, but since you are not I must teach you about the consequences of sin. And then it makes me wonder what would have Jacob taught the people if the Nephites had been holy then? Now by reading this book about Lorenzo Snow, I now know what Jacob would have taught them. This book is filled with Holiness. In my humble opinion. I read it with much reverence as if I were reading holy scripture.

“And this is the ensample unto them, that they shall speak as they are moved upon by the Holy Ghost. And whatsoever they shall speak when moved upon by the Holy Ghost shall be scripture, shall be the will of the Lord, shall be the mind of the Lord, shall be the word of the Lord, shall be the voice of the Lord, and the power of God unto salvation.

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 68:3 - 4)

 
The first time I knew of Lorenzo Snow, was three days before I entered the temple the first time for my own washings, anointings and endowments. I saw his video in my bedroom about tithing and the promise of rain. Tears fell from my eyes as I was watching it. It was as if the power of God unto salvation was knocking at my door. I immediately prayed to thank God for a prophet and for his teachings.  Then, I immediately head a voice that said to me, do your diligence to go or enter the temple, so I can endow you with power from on High. I did not know what it all meant. I only knew that is was a commandment from the LORD.  Right after that I felt a sudden rush to hasten and made the necessary phone calls to anyone who could help me prepare to enter the temple. The weekend was approaching; and as a ward clerk, I was expecting difficulties setting up impromptu meetings.  But to my surprise, the way was prepared ahead of me. It was as if they were all waiting for me or expecting me for I did not find any difficult at all. And within a day or so of each step, I received an intensive mode of the temple preparation classes, a worthiness interview with both the Bishop and the Stake President and a Temple Recommend.  And within three days, on a Saturday, I was endowed with power from on high on the last day of  22nd birthday.  

I will never forget that year, for during that whole year from beginning to end, I got married, my wife was baptized, I received my patriarchal blessing, then the Melquisedec Priesthood from a Temple Sealer who was also a stake High Counselor and who a little later became a Patriarch.  On that same year, I conceived my first born; and also entered the temple to receive my own endowments.  And when I returned home from the temple that day, I was filled with the Holy Ghost to the bones and sinews that I could not keep all the fire to myself. I could not talk much about my temple experience, but I wanted to transfer to somebody what I felt. And the first things I did when I got home was to touch my unborn child who on the spot jumped in her mother’s womb. She was born about two weeks later a bit ahead of her scheduled time. It was the most productive day or year of my life that I can remember. And every time I read or hear the teaching of this particular prophet, I remember and think about holy things; and then as I did today, I count all my blessings and thank and glorify God for it.  

Of this I solemnly testify in the sacred name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Miguel Angel Tinoco Rodriguez

1 comment:

  1. HEARKEN, O ye people of my church, to whom the kingdom has been given; hearken ye and give ear to him who laid the foundation of the earth, who made the heavens and all the hosts thereof, and by whom all things were made which live, and move, and have a being. And again I say, hearken unto my voice, lest death shall overtake you; in an hour when ye think not the summer shall be past, and the harvest ended, and your souls not saved. Listen to him who is the advocate with the Father, who is pleading your cause before him— Saying: Father, behold the sufferings and death of him who did no sin, in whom thou wast well pleased; behold the blood of thy Son which was shed, the blood of him whom thou gavest that thyself might be glorified; Wherefore, Father, spare these my brethren that believe on my name, that they may come unto me and have everlasting life.

    Hearken, O ye people of my church, and ye elders listen together, and hear my voice while it is called today, and harden not your hearts; For verily I say unto you that I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the light and the life of the world—a light that shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not. I came unto mine own, and mine own received me not; but unto as many as received me gave I power to do many miracles, and to become the sons of God; and even unto them that believed on my name gave I power to obtain eternal life.

    And even so I have sent mine everlasting covenant into the world, to be a light to the world, and to be a standard for my people, and for the Gentiles to seek to it, and to be a messenger before my face to prepare the way before me. Wherefore, come ye unto it, and with him that cometh I will reason as with men in days of old, and I will show unto you my strong reasoning.

    (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 45:1 - 10)

    ReplyDelete